Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ode to The X-Files (kind of)

Dear Mr. Carter,

I first discovered your show this past summer, and I must say, bravo! I loved coming home from work, kicking up my feet, and being immersed into the realm of all things paranormal. I just wanted to say thank you.

You told awesome stories. Stories filled with aliens, ghosts, and Fox (or should it be Foxy?) Mulder. Stories based on other stories that never seem to die – despite never being proven.

You showed me a world I could enjoy because its events were too bizarre, so far-off from my everyday experiences, and thus, clearly fictitious. There was nothing to fear because you made it all up. You just imagined those things; they would never happen in real life...right?

WRONG!

As far-fetched and twisted as your ideas were, they suggested possibility. Not only was it possible that aliens, ghosts, and even crap-eating sewer monsters could exist (okay, that last one’s a bit of a stretch...and gross), but that matters of “National Security” could be a matter of social concern, that the government might be keeping – GASP! – secrets from the public, or that news stories operating as fact are only a small selection of the facts, bent and manipulated to keep the secrets safe.

Thank you again, Chris Carter. Now ghosts don’t seem that scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment