Sunday, February 1, 2009

2012 – The Feel-Good Movie of the Year!

Isn’t it so typical of Hollywood to take real-life disasters, saturate them with fancy special effects, and make hundreds of millions off our love of a cheap thrill at the movies?

Guess what? They’re doing it again! But unlike Apollo 13, Titanic, World Trade Center, and Hotel Rwanda, the disasters in Roland Emmerich’s 2012 haven’t even happened…yet.



The hype-filled movie, which is scheduled to be released later this year, is based on none other than the Mayan prophecy of 2012. According to the ancient Mayan calendar, December 21, 2012 is the EXACT day the world is going to end!

Actually, some believe the date will bring with it a new age of enlightenment.

Some claim extra-terrestrials will come.

Others – and by others, I mean scientists and astronomers – predict 12/21/2012 is also the first time the sun will align with the Milky Way in 26,000 years.

If you're not a scientist, you might be wondering, "What the hell does that mean?" Well, I'll tell you (but I can't be held responsible for any panic that might ensue).

This once in a lifetime event (oh boy, lucky us!) may cause the Earth to undergo a polar shift and begin spinning in the opposite direction. This in turn would result in countless natural disasters all around the world, which you’re sure to witness in 2012.

While the movie, the trailer, and the release date are being kept very hush-hush for now, I imagine 2012 will be a mix of The Day After Tomorrow, Deep Impact, Daylight, Dante’s Peak, Twister, and maybe even War of the Worlds with a hint of Independence Day – if they decide to throw aliens in there too.

All this and John Cusack? I can’t wait! I just hope that when December 21 rolls around three years from now, we’ll still be able to say Emmerich's 2012 was "only a movie.”

2 comments:

  1. I've done a lot of research on this after I heard about the movie coming out. The outcome: paranoia. I think many people, such as myself have a tendency to scare themselves excessively with doomsday prophecies. On that note, I hope we all won't die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will have to agree with Magda on that. I don't think this is the kind of movie I would want to see becuase I would leave the theatre paranoid and scare myself for the proceeding 3 years.
    As you mentioned, the movie really reminds me of "The Day After Tomorrow" where I remember hearing a lot of the actors talking about how the movie is good because "it actually could happen." It frustrates me because it makes it seem as though the directors are predicting the future.
    I've heard about this Mayan prophecy before, but it seems all too much like another Y2K panic to me.

    ReplyDelete