Do you ever tire of opening the newest issue of your favourite magazine only to have to flip through 30 pages of ads just to get to the index?
Do you ever start reading a captivating article, turn the page and – UGH – it’s gone, replaced by some perfectly perfected supermodel you hope is simply the result of extensive airbrushing?
I know I do.
In my feeble quest to find alternative ad-free magazines, I made a rather shocking discovery: there are a lot of them. (So, on second thought, I guess it wasn’t really that feeble of an attempt.)
The slightly higher cost aside, there's an ad-less magazine for almost every audience out there, audiences that are currently being targeted and captured by the mainstream – and even ones that aren’t.
There are magazines for Christians, and divers, and poetry writers...And butchers, and bakers, and candlestick-makers. Okay, that last one was a joke (as far as I know); it just seemed to fit so well.
If you want to break free from the pressure to BUY! BUY! BUY! here are some alternatives:
- for Christians – Geez
- for Scuba Divers – In-Depth
- for Feminists – Bitch
- for Gardeners – Garden Gate
- for Science-Fans – Greater Good
- for Literary-Lovers – The Sun
- for Design and Photography Buffs – U&I
- for Political Junkies/ Environmentalists/ Culture Critics – Briarpatch; Adbusters; could also include Bitch
- for those who Like to Laugh – The Funny Times
- for a Little Bit of Everything – YES!
…and one last thing for Bloggers – Ad-Free Blog
If none of these sound like you, check out NewPages.com.