Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Write your own "Twilight"

TwilightIf you've ever thought about writing a supernatural novel, whether it's about vampires, demons, ghosts, werewolves, zombies, or aliens, now is the time to do it.

With the huge success of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series, publishers and (especially teen) readers are getting sucked in to the genre.

Personally, I love vampire stories; for some reason they've always fascinated me. But my criticism of most (mainstream) vampire books and movies is that they're not scary; they're love stories, or at least strories about seduction.

Usually the vampires are sexy, mysterious, sometimes kind-hearted, and mostly men. (I'm thinking of Angel from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, Louis from Interview with the Vampire, Lestat from Queen of the Damned, and of course, the newest blood-sucking charmer from Twilight.)

30 Days of NightAs much as I didn't like 30 Days of Night, I think they had the scariest vampires yet, not only because of their black hollow eyes and pointy blood-stained teeth, but because of their unconventional anti-Prince Charming behaviour.

Do we really need another version of The Perfect Guy to compare to the not-so-perfect guys out there? (No offense to all the guys, but seriously, no one's that perfect.)

Give me something to be scared of!

No comments:

Post a Comment